Internal Funding and Award Opportunities
CTBUH International Research Seed Funding
The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) will announce the 2014 "Call for Proposals," for its International Research Seed Funding, in early 2014. The goal of the funding program is to assist researchers, in conjunction with the CTBUH, in developing projects/ideas to pursue additional, more significant, funding. Research proposals can come from any topic or discipline related to the tall building typology and/or urban habitat.
WISER's Interdisciplinary Seed Funding Grants (ISFG)
WISER will issue a call for proposals in early 2014.
- Fouad Teymour, PI (ChBE), Satish Parulekar (ChBE), Omar Khalil (ChBE), and Philip Laible, Argonne National Laboratory: "Exploration of the Feasibility of Development of Symbiotic Photosynthetic Ecologies for Direct Production of Biofuels"
- Lulu Kang, PI (AM) and Dietmar Rempfer (MMAE): "Optimal Placement of Wind Turbines for Wind Farm"
- Mehdi Modares, PI (CAEE) and Erdal Oruklu (ECE): "Structural Condition Assessment and Health Monitoring for Wind Turbine Systems with Sensor Fusion"
For further information, contact Peg Murphy, email@example.com or 312.567.6881.
Educational and Research Initiative Fund (ERIF)
DEADLINE: November 18, 2013
The objective of the ERIF program is to provide seed funding to initiate innovative multi-investigator, multidisciplinary research and education programs that will use the results obtained during the project period for developing proposals seeking external funding. Proposals on new research and education concepts that are multidisciplinary in scope are solicited.
2013 ERIF Grant Recipients:
- Scott Morris (Psych) and Cindy Menches (CAEE)
- Eric Houston (Psych) and Boris Glavic (CS)
- Matthew Spenko (MAEE) and Donald Chmielewski (CHBE)
Starr Research Fellowship and Fieldhouse Research Fellowship
DEADLINE: November 15, 2013
Merit based research scholarships made possible through a generous donation from the Starr Foundation and IIT's capital campaign match to honor Mr. Irv Fieldhouse.
2013 Starr-Fieldhouse Recipients:
- Tiffani Ramos (CAEE)
- Scott Krieder (CS)
IIT Research Scholarship Program
A limited number of merit-based scholarships are available to students who are starting their Ph.D. programs at IIT in the Fall semester. U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status is required.
Students may not apply for this scholarship directly, They must be nominated by a tenured or tenure track IIT Faculty member in one of the following departments: AM, BCPS, BME, CAEE, CHBE, CS, ECE, or MMAE.
Sigma Xi/IIT Awards for Excellence in University Research
Three or four awards will be granted in recognition of the recipients’ significant accomplishments in research, scholarship, or creative activity while teaching or studying at IIT. All full-time faculty members and full-time graduate students at IIT are eligible for consideration..
To be considered for a Sigma Xi award, the faculty member or graduate student must be nominated by an IIT faculty member.