Welcome to the Office of Spiritual Life and Service Learning
Looking for a place to worship on campus, or in the area?
Want to talk with someone who can offer a faith perspective?
Interested in exploring Interfaith issues and activities?
Passionate about making a difference in the community, and the world?
For all of this and more, the Office of Spiritual Life and Service Learning is here for you!
Whether you're a theist or atheist, devout practitioner or casual seeker... whatever your path, you are welcome here. Drop by, or make an appointment. I love meeting people, and strive to be of service to everyone in the IIT community.
Lynne Meyer, Director of Spiritual Life
Student Learning Outcomes
- Engage with others to examine personal values and worldview.
- Contribute positively to the larger community through service.
- Appreciate the importance of religion and spirituality within a multi-religious community.
- “It does not matter whether you are a theist or atheist, what matters is sincerity, forgiveness, and compassion.” ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- “You aspire to great things? Begin with little ones.” ~ Saint Augustine
- “There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle.” ~Robert Alden
- “All beginnings require that you unlock a new door.” ~Rebbi Nachman of Breslov
- “When you eat a fruit, think of the person who planted the tree.” ~Vietnamese proverb
- “ There can never be peace between nations until there is first known that true peace which is within the souls of men.” ~ Black Elk
- "Just to be is a blessing. Just to live is holy." ~Abraham Joshua Heschel
- “It is not the magnitude of our actions but the amount of love that is put into them that matters.” ~Mother Teresa
- “The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “For it is in giving that we receive.” ~Saint. Francis of Assisi
- “Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know,' and thou shalt progress.” ~Maimonides
- “One thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.” ~Albert Schweitzer
- “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.” ~Helen Keller
- “I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.” ~Kahlil Gibran
- “It does not require many words to speak the truth.” ~Chief Joseph
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others." ~Peace Pilgrim
- "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
- “We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond.” ~Gwendolyn Brooks
- “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” ~Og Mandino
- “Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.” ~The Buddha