Mergers and Changes
In 1969, IIT became one of the few technology-based universities with a law school when Chicago-Kent College of Law, founded in 1887, became an integral part of the university.
Stuart School of Business was added in 1969, with a gift from the estate of Lewis Institute alumnus and Chicago financier Harold Leonard Stuart. The school became the Stuart School of Business in 1999. Midwest College of Engineering, founded in 1967, joined the university in 1986, forming the nucleus for IIT's Rice Campus west suburban Wheaton.
Today, IIT is a private, Ph.D.-granting university with programs in engineering, science, psychology, architecture, business, design and law.
One of the 16 institutions that comprise the Association of Independent Technological Universities (AITU), IIT offers exceptional preparation for professions that require technological sophistication. Through a committed faculty and close personal attention, IIT provides a challenging academic program focused by the rigor of the real world.