Christopher D. Rockey, SE, AIAAssistant Professor
Principal, Rockey Structures, LLC
- Structural Engineering
- M.Arch, Structures Option, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S., Architectural Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Research & Major Accomplishments
Prior to teaching and starting his own practice, Mr. Rockey served as an associate for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, an international A/E firm with over 700 employees worldwide, as well as being a project engineer for Halvorson Kaye Structural Engineers.
His design projects have included office, residential, civic, renovation, urban and transportation facilities. In coordination with the architectural and building services teams, he incorporates the structural engineering design concepts within project requirements.
Mr. Rockey, drawing upon his experience in the architectural, engineering, and construction fields, provides engineering consultation that combines aesthetics, constructability, and efficiency.
- “2008 IDEAS2 Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel: Greater than $75 Million – National Award Winner”, Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach, VA, 2008 American Institute of Steel Construction
- “Distinguished Building Award”, Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach, VA, 2007 AIA – Chicago Chapter
- “Citation for Excellence”, Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach, VA, 2007 Business Week/Architectural Record Awards
- “Citation of Merit”, Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach, VA, 2006 AIA Design Excellence Awards
- “Outstanding Project over 5 Million”, Millennium Park, ASCE Illinois Section Awards, Chicago, Illinois 2006
- “Dean E. and Avis F. Hilfinger Faculty Fellowship”, full-time, endowed Visiting Lecturer in Architecture in the Structures Option of the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the 2006-2007 academic year. The position requirements include a concentration in the Graduate Capstone Studio in the Structures Option and the delivery of a public lecture.
- “Excellence in Structural Engineering – Large Project Award of Merit”, Jay Pritzker Pavilion and BP Bridge at Millennium Park, Chicago, Illinois, American Institute of Steel Construction, 2005
- “Merit Award”, BP Pedestrian Bridge at Millennium Park, National Steel Bridge Alliance, Prize Bridge Competition, 2005
- “Engineering Category Recipient”, Millennium Park Chicago, Illinois, 2004 British Columbia Design Award, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction, 2004
- “American Architecture Award, Changi International Airport T3, Chicago Athenaeum, 2001
- “Outstanding Structure Award”, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, 2001
- “Charter Award”, State Street Renovation Project, Congress for the New Urbanism, 2000
- “Award of Merit”, State Street Renovation Project, Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, 1999
- “Distinguished Building Award”, Chicago Symphony Center, AIA – Chicago Chapter, 1998
- “Building Team Project of the Year Awards, Merit Award”, Chicago Symphony Center, Building Design & Construction Magazine, 1998
- “American Architecture Award”, State Street Renovation Project, Chicago Athenaeum, 1998
- ”Distinguished Building Award”, State Street Renovation Project, AIA – Chicago Chapter, 1998
- “National Honor Award for Urban Design”, State Street Renovation Project, AIA, 1998
- “Best Structure”, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, National Council of Structural Engineers Associations, 1998
- “Special Achievement Award”, State Street Renovation Project, International Downtown Association, 1997
- “Most Innovative Structure”, Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Structural Engineers Association of Illinois, 1997
Selected Publications“Music in the Park”, A. Abdelrazaq, H. Iyengar, C. Rockey, R. Sinn, J. Zils, Modern Steel Construction – Cover Story, August 2004, pp 36-41. Project engineer for the BP Pedestrian Bridge, which is one of the three elements within this story.
”Serpentine Span”, H. Iyengar, C. Rockey, R. Sinn, J. Zils, Civil Engineering, February 2006, pp 48-53 & 83. Peer reviewed paper in foremost publication for the American Society of Civil Engineers.
“Millennium Park BP Pedestrian Crossing, Chicago, USA”, H. Iyengar, C. Rockey, R. Sinn, J. Zils, The Structural Engineer, International Journal of IStructE, July 2006, pp 33-37. Peer reviewed publication for The Institution of Structural Engineers, which is the world’s leading professional body for structural engineering based in the UK.
Professional Society Memberships
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- American Institute of Architects
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Structural Engineers Association of Illinois