John Cesarone, Ph.D., P.E.Sr. Lecturer, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering
Office: Engineering 1 Building, Room 261
Phone: INTM Office: 312.567.3652
Web: John Cesarone, Manufacturing Productivity Consulting
- Teaches INTM 412/531: Manufacturing Processes for Metals and Mechanical Systems
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S and B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Research & Major Accomplishments
Dr. Cesarone is a Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Illinois with many research interests and areas of expertise. Specifically, he has worked on projects involving all tools for achieving Intelligent Manufacturing, focusing on the following:
• Computer-Integrated Manufacturing Technologies
• Simulation and Functional Modeling Methodologies
• Optimization Using Operations Research Techniques
• Automation and Robotics
• Distance Learning
Cesarone has had a private consulting practice since 1998. He works with industrial, government, and academic clients specializing in advanced manufacturing engineering and industrial engineering topics including process flow analysis, computer simulation, reliability engineering, lean manufacturing, and statistical process control.
Cesarone began his career as a Systems Engineer for General Dynamics Convair Division in San Diego, CA. His many manufacturing positions include Technical Director, Manufacturing Technology Information Analysis Center (MTIAC) for the IIT Research Institute, as well as experience as Program Manager, Instrumented Factory, and Manufacturing Technology Development Manager for Gears program, a $4 million per year program to enhance the North American precision gear manufacturing industry.
Cesarone has also taught courses in Industrial Engineering for the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Northwestern University.
- U.S. Department of Defense, Strategic Defense Logistics Agency; Distribution and Disposition (2006 – present)—Implementation of modern business and technology practices for defense supply chain analysis and management.
Cesarone, J., “Project Management by the Numbers,” Industrial Engineer, November 2007.
Cesarone, J., “The Power of Taguchi”, IIE Solutions, November 2001.
Cesarone, J., “DOs and DON’Ts of Computer Simulation”, IIE Solutions, May 2000.
Professional Society Memberships
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Institute of Industrial Engineers
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Editorial Board Service
Professional Society Service
- At IIT Research Institute (IITRI): INFAC CIM Lab (1992). Working with IBM’s CIM in Higher Education program, procured $350,000 worth of state-of-the-art Computer Integrated Manufacturing hardware and software from IBM to develop a CIM teaching and research laboratory for the precision gear industry.
- At IIT Research Institute (IITRI): INFAC Machining Lab (1994). Procured $1.7 million in Production Base Support funding from the US Army Aviation and Troop Command for purchase of CNC machine tools to support an industrial machining laboratory for the precision gear industry.