Life Science: All About You, PLED 552
About this Course:
All About You, focuses on life science, particularly the science of the human body. The teacher professional development series is designed to help 4th thru 8th grade teachers learn to utilize inquiry-based and hands-on/minds-on science curriculum both within and outside of the classroom setting. Through this intensive and engaging year long program, the workshops focus on expanding science teachers’ capacity by building their content knowledge and enhancing their instructional practice. Aside from this program being broad based and interdisciplinary, this program explores how to further the interaction of inquiry based teaching methods into the classroom as well as the multiple ways that an informal institution such as The Museum of Science and Industry, can be used to further the curriculum objectives established.
After participating in the program, teachers will be able to:
- Describe how organs, tissues and cells perform specific human body function
- Differentiate how each of the body systems are designed to fulfill a specific function, work interdependently and are affected by your choices
- Explain that genetic material determines characteristics that can be altered by internal changes and external factors
- Demonstrate that to be socially, emotionally, mentally and physically healthy you must make educated, positive choices
- Be able to facilitate exploration of health, wellness and human body concepts at a level that is appropriate for their students
- Experience an increase in comfort exploring health, wellness and human body content
- Feel comfortable implementing lessons/activities that were explored in the workshop
- Feel comfortable implementing lessons/activities that were given but not explored in the workshop
In an innovative approach to learning and teaching life sciences, All about You will examine health and wellness by exploring cells, body systems, genetics, evolution, digestion and exercise. The workshop complements the Museum's new permanent exhibit, YOU! The Experience. All About You will also expose teachers to the resources of the Museum and engage them in strategies for planning more effective, educational and rewarding field trips for their students.
- Field trip opportunities (including hands-on workshops, exhibit guides, demonstrations, theater shows)
- Special workshops for teachers
- Museum exhibits that address curriculum standards
- “How to” book and plan a field trip
Methods for Evaluating Teacher Performance
- Teachers will be assessed with a comfort and attitudinal scale. This will evaluate their comfort with content, pedagogy and museum skills.
- Participants will complete a museum field trip planning sheet to assess how comfortable they are with using informal learning resources.
- At the end of each workshop, participants will complete an open-ended reflection.
- Teachers maintain a “portfolio” during the course of the school year in which they document the activities they try in their own classroom and their observations and reflections about those activities. These portfolios are turned in at the conclusion of the program.
Dr. Judith Lederman, Director of Teacher Education, IIT
Nicole Kowrach, Assistant Director for Education and Manager: School Programs
Patricia Messersmith, Coordinator, Institute for Quality Science Teaching