Methods of Teaching ESL / EFL International Program
Methods of Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
This intensive program will introduce current English teachers from other countries to the theoretical foundations of teaching English as second or foreign language and will offer practical models for the following: selecting methods, selecting and developing materials, and writing a syllabus. The program will focus on strategies that integrate the four tasks of literacy and fluency: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Throughout the course, activities and tasks used by American teachers of ESL will be presented along with materials, lesson plans, instructors' textbooks, audio-visual materials and ways to use technology in the classroom. Since listening and speaking skills are often not the focus of teaching English in other countries, this course will focus on presenting activities that enhance students' listening and speaking skills.
Participants will gain valuable insight into American cross-culture by experiencing it firsthand. They will be able to take their knowledge of U.S. culture back to their classes and students in order to share more about the language and its speakers. The English teachers participating in this program will also be given the opportunity to observe an American ESL class. They will be encouraged to review the various activities and materials encountered and to present those new activities to their fellow participants in order to utilize them upon returning to their own countries. Please note: This program does not include TESL/TEFL Certification and is only intended for current teachers of English as a second or foreign language.
This program is typically offered from mid-July through mid-August. Classes may be scheduled at various times depending on the availability within the department and IIT. Programs can also be shortened or lengthened depending on the needs of the participants and the program.
Typical Weekly Class Schedule
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
9:00am to 12:00pm - Class and local tours
Tuesday and Thursday
1:00pm to 4:00pm - Class and local tours
Please note: Class times may vary on based on scheduled tours.
Price includes the following:
- Classes in Methods of Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
- Classes in American cross- culture
- Observations of American ESL classes at local schools or organizations
- All course materials and textbooks
- Educational field trips conducted during the scheduled class times
- Additional field trips scheduled outside of class times
- Room and Board, including 14 meals per week at IIT, when on- campus housing is available
- Transportation to and from the airport (for those arriving in groups only)
- CTA transportation card with unlimited rides on Chicago's buses and trains (does not include Metra)
- Transportation to and from cultural events and tours (when not using CTA)
Sample Cultural Activities and Tours