Carlo U. Segre , Ph.D.Duchossois Leadership Professor; Professor of Physics
Deputy Director, Materials Research Collaborative Access Team (MRCAT)
Director, Center for Synchrotron Radiation Research and Instrumentation (CSRRI)
Deputy Director, BIOCAT
- Structure and properties of multiferroic, catalytic and nuclear materials using synchrotron radiation techniques
- B.S, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Ph.D, University of California, San Diego
Research & Major Accomplishments
My research centers around the structure and electronic properties of complex materials including superconducting, magnetic and catalytic materials.
Experimental techniques used in my research include; material synthesis through arc-melting, powder metallurgy and advanced chemical methods; thin film deposition by laser and pseudo-spark ablation and sputtering; structural characterization of the samples performed by x-ray powder diffraction and xray absorption fine structure; and measurement of electronic properties by resistivity, magnetic susceptibility, and x-ray absorption spectroscopy. Specific topics of interest include:
- in-situ structural studies of catalytic materials for use in fuel cells;
- structural and electrical characterization of thin films of high temperature superconductors and ferroelectrics prepared by laser and pseudo-spark ablation;
- structural and electronic properties of magnetic materials prepared in the form of nanoparticles and thin films;
- x-ray diffraction studies of high temperature copper oxide superconductors, with particular focus on the relationship between superconductivity and the crystallographic ordering of the oxygen sublattice;
- magnetic and superconducting properties of ternary rare earth-transition metal-silicides with properties ranging from heavy fermion behavior to magnetism to mixed-valence to superconductivity, depending on the rare earth element and its local environment.
I also am an active participant in the IIT Center for Synchrotron Radiation Research and Instrumentation (CSRRI) and I serve as Deputy Director of the Materials Research Collaborative Access Team (MRCAT) which operates an experimental facility for materials research at the Advanced Photon Source (APS). I have been involved in the development of crystal optic devices for delivery and detection of x-rays at synchrotron beamlines.
Since 1992, I have been involved with the International Bridge Building Committee. We organize the Chicago Regional Bridge Building Contest each winter and the International Bridge Building Contest in odd years. This contest has grown, over the past 25 years, to be an integral part of many High School Physical Science curricula
"Photoemission studies of fluorine funcionalized porous graphitic carbon", H. Ganegoda, D.S. Jensen, D. Olive, L Cheng, C.U. Segre, M.R. Linford, and J. Terry, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 053705 (2012).
"Quantitative performance measurements of bent crystal Laue analyzers for X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy", C. Karanfil, G. Bunker, M. Newville, and C.U. Segre, and L.D. Chapman, J. Synchrotron Radiation 19, 375- 380 (2012).
"Local compositional environment of Er in ZnS:ErF3 thin film electroluminescent phosphors", M.R. Davidson, S. Stoupin, D. DeVito, J. Collingwood, C.U. Segre and P.H. Holloway, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 054505 (2011).
"Operando X-Ray Absorption and Infrared Fuel Cell Spectroscopy", E.A. Lewis, I. Kendrick, C. Grice, C.U. Segre and E.S. Smotkin, Electrochim. Acta 56, 8827-8832 (2011).
"Operando X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells", E.S. Smotkin and C.U. Segre, Fuel Cell Science: Theory, Fundamentals and Biocatalysis, eds. A. Wieckowski and J.K. Norskov, 545-564 (John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken NJ, 2010).
"An X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy Study of Mo Oxidation in Pb at Elevated Temperatures", S. Liu, D. Olive, J. Terry, and C.U. Segre, J. Nucl. Mat. 392, 259-263 (2009).
"Embedded Cluster Δ-XANES Modeling of Adsorption Processes on Pt", E.A. Lewis, C.U. Segre, and E.S. Smotkin, Electrochim. Acta 10.1016/j.electacta.2009.06.067 (2009).
"Synchrotron radiation-based x-ray analysis of bronze artifacts from and Iron Age site in the Judean Hills", E.S. Friedman, A.J. Brody, M.L. Young, J.D. Almer, C.U. Segre, and S.M. Mini, J. Archaeological Science 35, 1951-1960 (2008).
"Niobium Speciation at the Metal/Oxide Interface of Corroded Niobium-Doped Zircaloys: A X-Ray Absorption Near-Edge Structure Study", A. Froideval, C. Degueldre, C.U. Segre, M.A. Pouchon and D. Grolimund, Corrosion Science 50, 1313-1320 (2008).
"Structural Analysis of Sonochemically Prepared PtRu Versus Johnson Matthey PtRu in Operating Direct Methanol Fuel Cells", S. Stoupin, H. Rivera, Z. Li, C.U. Segre, C. Korzeniewski, D.J. Casadonte, H. Inoue and E.S. Smotkin, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 10, 6430-6437 (2008).