Jay Shen, PhD, SE, PEAssociate Professor, CAE
Director, Structural Engineering Program
Structural Engineering / Earthquake Engineering
Office: AM 215
3201 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60616-3793
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
- Performance-based seismic design of concentrically and eccentrically braced frames;
- Seismic study of deep column steel moment frames using model-based simulation;
- Seismic design of steel column base plates;
- Pushover study of building frames;
- Inelastic behavior of lateral-torsional buckling;
- Structural heath monitoring of building structures;
- Tension-compression balanced steel braced frames. Dr. Shen is a member of EERI, AISC and ASCE.
Selected Research Projects
Seismic study of ductile and non-ductile braced frames; Sponsor: American Institute of Steel Construction; Principal Investigator: J. Shen.
Innovative structural towers for wind power industry; Sponsor: Chicago Metal Fabricators; Principal Investigator: J. Shen
Seismic demands on column splices in special moment frames; Sponsor: American Institute of Steel Construction; Principal Investigator: J. Shen.
Seismic Response and Reduction Factor of Steel Plate Girder Bridges Subjected to Strong Ground Motions; Sponsor: American Institute of Steel Construction; Principal Investigator: J. Shen.
Seismic Design Study of Deep Columns in Steel Moment Frames; Sponsor: Steel Structural Education Council; Principal Investigator: J. Shen
- 1. Performance-based structural design for abnormal loading conditions
- 2. Model-based simulation of inelastic behavior of structural systems and critical components in steel buildings and bridges
- 3. Structural condition assessments and health monitoring
Akbas, B., Cai, W., Wen, R. and Shen, J. "Comparative study of ductile and non-ductile braced frames in low to high seismicity regions," Journal of The Structural Design of Tall Buildings January, 2012
Apirakvorapinit, P., Mohammadi, J.and J. Shen. "Analytical investigation of potential seismic damage to a skewed bridge," Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, February 2012. Vol. 17(1) pp.5-12.
Shen, X and Shen, J. "Application of spline element and state-space approach to dynamic analysis,"? ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics Journal, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 138, No. 1, pp.22-29, 2012
Akbas, B., Shen, J. and Sabol, T., "Estimation of seismic-induced demands on column splices with a neural network model," Applied Soft Computing? 2011
Shen, J, Sabol, T., Akabas, B. and Sutchiewcharn, C., "Seismic demand of column splices in special moment frames,"? Engineering Journal, American Institute of Steel Construction, the Fourth Quarter, pp. 223-240, 2010.
Akbas, B., Nadar, M., and Shen, J., "A Methodology to Estimate Earthquake Induced Worst Failure Probability of Inelastic Systems," Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 187-202, 2008.
Akbas, B. and Shen, J., "Modeling of Nonlinear Behavior of Double-Angle Shear Connections," Journal of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Vol.2, pp.83-101, 2006.
Akbas, B., Shen, J., and Temiz, H., "Identifying the Hysteretic Energy Demand and Distribution in Regular Steel Frames", the International Journal of Steel and Composite Structures, Vol. 6, No. 6 (2006).
Akbas, B. and Shen, J.? "Seismic behavior of steel buildings with combined rigid and semi-rigid frames", Journal of Engineering and Environmental Sciences Vol.27, No.4, pp.253-264,? 2003.
Akbas, B. and Shen, J. "Earthquake Resistant Design and Energy Concepts,"
Technical Journal, Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers, Volume 14, No.2, April 2003.