Sidney Guralnick’s Fifty Years at IIT
Since his arrival to IIT's campus in 1958, Dr. Sidney A. Guralnick has witnessed many changes in the campus and the surrounding community. He has seen the addition of campus buildings such as the Galvin Library f/k/a Crerar Library and Herman Union Building Hall in 1962, and the McCormick Tribune Campus Center in 2003. He has witnessed many generations of change in students, faculty, staff and university presidents.
Although Dr. Guralnick is best known for his role as professor of structural engineering, he has also served IIT in the roles of Chair of Faculty Senate, Dean of Graduate School and Coordinator of Research, Executive Vice President, IIT's first Provost, and a member of the Board of Trustees. He was appointed Perlstein Distinguished Professor of Engineering in 1982 and subsequently, Perlstein Distinguished Professor of Engineering-Emeritus after his retirement.
Dr. Guralnick is often sought out by the media for his expertise on structural disasters such as the porch collapses in 2001, falling debris at Wrigley Field in 2004, and the Minneapolis Bridge Collapse in 2006.
In the Fall 2004 IIT Magazine, they wrote “When rock stars reach immortality, their fellow musicians honor them with tribute albums. When structural engineers reach immortality, their colleagues present them with a volume of research papers celebrating the breadth of their research.” On Dr. Guralnick's 70th birthday, he was honored by his colleagues and former students with a publication, Engineering Science of Structures, that contained papers written on topics related to his research to celebrate the accomplishments he made in structural engineering.
His honors include:
- ASCE Collingwood Prize for Research, 1961
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute, 1965
- Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1983
- Trustee of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois, 1987-1993
- President of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois, 1990
- Structural Engineers Association of Illinois John Parmer Award, 1993
- ASCE Civil Engineer of the Year Award, 1997
- ASCE Lifetime Achievement Award, 1997