Donald J. ChmielewskiAssociate Professor of Chemical Engineering
- Advanced Process Control
- Fuel Cell System Design and Control
- B.S. Illinois Institute of Technology (Electrical Engineering, 1991)
- M.S. University of California, Los Angeles (Electrical Engineering, 1993)
- Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles (Chemical Engineering, 2000)
- Economics of control system design
- Modeling and design of energy related processes
- Applications include:
- Fuel cell systems
- Hybrid vehicles
- IGCC power plants
- Building HVAC systems
- Manufacturing inventory systems
- Electric power transmission and storage systems
- 2010 - CAST Division Plenary Lecture, AIChE
- 2004 - CAST Directors' Award for Best Poster, AIChE
- 2003 - Excellence in Teaching Award, ChEE Department, IIT
- 2003 - Outstanding Student Organization Advisor Award, II
- 2000 - Outstanding PhD in Chemical Engineering, UCLA
Selected PublicationsOmell, B.P., and D.J. Chmielewski, "IGCC Power Plant Dispatch using Infinite-Horizon Economic Model Predicitve Control"
Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52(9), pp 3151-3164 (2013).
Soroush, M, and D.J. Chmielewski, "Process systems opportunities in power generation, storage and distribution"
Comp. Chem. Eng., 51(5) pp 86-95 (2013).
Ahmed S.K., J.-K. Peng, and D.J. Chmielewski, "Covariance-Based Hardware Selection-Part III: Distributed Parameters Systems"
AIChE J.,58(9), pp 2705-2713, (2012).
Walker, M.E., J. Abbasian, D.J. Chmielewski, and M.J. Castaldi, "Dry Gasification Oxy-Combustion Power Cycle"
Energy Fuels, 25(5), pp 2258-2266, (2011).
Ahmed, S.K. and D.J. Chmielewski, "Closed-loop Dynamics in the Membrane of a PEM Fuel Cell,"
J. Power Sources, 196(13), pp 5555-5563, (2011).
Papadias, D., S.H.D. Lee and D.J. Chmielewski, "Autothermal Reforming of Gasoline for Fuel Cell Applications: A Transient Reactor Model,"
Ind. Eng Chem. Res., 45, pp 5841-5858 (2006).
Lauzze, K.C., and D.J. Chmielewski, "Power Control of a Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell,"
Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45, pp 4661-4670 (2006).
Ahluwalia, R. K., Q. Zhang, D. J. Chmielewski, K. C. Lauzze, and M. A. Inbody, "Efficiency Based Design of a Preferential Oxidation Reactor for On-Board Fuel Processing Applications,"
Catalysis Today, 99(3-4), pp 271-283, (2005).
Peng, J.K., A.M. Manthanwar and D.J. Chmielewski, "On the Tuning of Predictive Controllers: The Minimally Backed-off Operating Point Selection Problem,"
Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 44, pp 7814-7822, (2005).
Al-Qattan, A., D. J. Chmielewski, S. Al-Hallaj and J. Selman, "A Novel Design for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stacks,"
Chem. Eng. Sci., 59, pp 131-137, (2004).
Chmielewski D. J., T. Palmer and V. Manousiouthakis, "On the Theory of Optimal Sensor Placement,"
AIChE J., 48(5), pp 1001-1012, (2002).
Chmielewski, D. J. and V. Manousiouthakis, "On Constrained Infinite-time Linear Quadratic Optimal Control,"
Sys. & Cont. Let., 29, p 121, (1996).