Ali CinarProfessor of Chemical Engineering
Vice Provost for Research
Dean of the Graduate College
Director, Engineering Center for Diabetes Research and Education
- B.S. from Robert College, Istanbul, Turkey (Chemical Engineering, 1970)
- M. Eng. from Texas A & M University (Chemical Engineering, 1973)
- Ph.D. from Texas A & M University (Chemical Engineering, 1976)
Professor Cinar's research activities are concentrated in three areas: complex adaptive agent-based systems, dynamic models and simulation of biomedical systems, and techniques for supervision of manufacturing process operations. Projects in each of these areas are highlighted below. The research activities focus on the development of theory, methodology, and tools that are used in various application areas. Collaborative projects in polymer reaction engineering, food processing, biomedical engineering, and biotechnology provide opportunities to test the theory and methods developed.
Complex Adaptive Agent-Based Systems
- Hierarchical multi-agent systems for modeling, supervision, and control of distributed complex adaptive systems
- Bifurcation analysis and complexity in large distributed systems
Modeling and Simulation of Biomedical Systems
- Stochastic agent-based modeling of angiogenesis and tissue growth
- Dynamic modeling of glucose and insulin variations in blood for patients with diabetes and automatic control of insulin pumps
- Metabolic pathway models for glucose utilization in muscle cells
Supervision of Manufacturing Process Operations
- Multivariable process monitoring, performance assessment, and fault diagnosis
- Nonlinear and multivariable process model development
- Knowledge-based systems for supervisory process control and intelligent process operations
- 2005 - Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- 2003 - Ernst W. Thiele Award, Chicago Section of AIChE
- 1996 - W. M. Langdon Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1992-1993 - ASA/NSF/NIST Senior Research Fellow
- 1987 - W. M. Langdon Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Cinar, A., A. Palazoglu, and F. Kayihan: Chemical Process Performance Evaluation, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2007.
- Cinar A., S. Parulekar, G. Birol, and C. Undey: Batch Fermentation: Modeling, Monitoring, Control, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2003.
Eren-Oruklu, M., A. Cinar, L. Quinn, and D. Smith: Adaptive Control Strategy for Regulation of Blood Glucose Levels in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes, J Process Control, 19, 1333-1346, 2009.
Tatara, E., F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Control of Complex Distributed Systems with Distributed Intelligent Agents, J Process Control, 17 (5), 415-427, 2007.
Tatara, E., I. Birol, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Static and Dynamic Behavior of Autocatalytic Replicators in Reactor Networks, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 43 (14) 3972-3993, 2004.
Undey, C., E. Tatara, F. and A. Cinar: Intelligent real-time performance monitoring and quality prediction for batch/fed-batch cultivations, J. of Biotechnology, 108 (1), 61-77, 2004.
Schaefer, J. and A. Cinar: Multivariable MPC system performance assessment, monitoring, and diagnosis, J. of Process Control, 14 (2), 113-129, 2004.
Undey, C., S. Ertunc, and A. Cinar: Online Batch/Fed-batch Process Performance Monitoring, Quality Prediction, and Variable-Contribution Analysis for Diagnosis, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 42 (20), 4645-4658, 2003.
Birol, G. C. Undey, S. J. Parulekar and A. Cinar: A Morphologically Structured Model for Penicillin Production, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 77(5), 538-552, 2002.
Eren-Oruklu, M., A. Cinar, L. Quinn, and D. Smith: Estimation of Future Glucose Concentrations with Subject-Specific Recursive Linear Models, Diabetes Technol. Therapy, 11, 234-241, 2009.
Tetiker, M. D., A. Artel, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Control of Grade Transitions in Distributed Chemical Reactor Networks – An Agent-Based Approach, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 32 (9), 1984-1994, 2008.
Tatara, E., M. North, C. Hood, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Agent-based Control of Distributed Chemical Reactor Networks, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 3910 / 2006, 222-231, 2006.
Tatara, E., I. Birol, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Measuring Complexity in Reactor Networks with Cubic Autocatalytic Reactions, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 44, 2781-2791, 2005.
Tatara, E., I. Birol, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Agent-based Control of Autocatalytic Replicators in Networks of Reactors Computers and Chemical Engineering, 29 (4) 807-815, 2005.
Tokatli, F. (Kosebalaban), A. Cinar, and J. E. Schlesser: HACCP with Multivariate Process Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis Techniques: Application to a Food Pasteurization Process, Food Control, 16, 411-422, 2005.
Tokatli, F. (Kosebalaban) and A. Cinar: Fault Detection and Diagnosis in a Food Pasteurization Process with Hidden Markov Models, Canadian J Chemical Engineering, 82 (6), 1252-1262, 2004.
Undey, C., S. Ertunc, E. Tatara, F. Teymour, and A. Cinar: Batch Process Monitoring and Diagnosis: Application to Polymerization Systems, Macromolecular Symposia, 206(1), 121-134, 2004.
Erzen, C., G. Birol, and A. Cinar: Development and Implementation of an Educational Simulator: GLUCOSIM, Chemical Engineering Education, 37 (4), 300-305, 2003.
Chaivorapoj, W., I. Birol, A. Cinar, and F. Teymour: Feedback Control of a Continuous-Flow Stirred Tank reactor with Competing Autocatalators, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 42 (16), 3765-3785, 2003.
Undey, C., E. Tatara, and A. Cinar: Real-time Batch Process Supervision by Integrated Knowledge-Based Systems and Multivariate Statistical Methods, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 16, 555-566, 2003.
Undey, C. and A. Cinar: Statistical Monitoring of Multistage, Multiphase Batch Processes, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 22(5), 40-52, 2002.
Birol, G. C. Undey and A. Cinar: A Modular Simulation Package for Fed-batch Fermentation: Penicillin Production, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 26(11), 1553-1565, 2002.
DeCicco, J. and A. Cinar: Empirical Modeling of Systems with Output Multiplicities by Multivariate Additive NARX Models, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 39 (6) 1747-1755, 2000.