Kevin W. Cassel, PhDAssociate Professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Application of analytical and computational methods in the thermo-fluid sciences.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Messiah College, 1988
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1990
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1993
- Analytical and computational solutions to partial differential equations.
- Application of advanced analytical techniques in the thermo-fluid sciences.
- Development of serial and parallel numerical algorithms for unsteady fluid flows.
- Numerical solutions of unsteady boundary-layer flows in Lagrangian coordinates.
- Theoretical description of physical processes in unsteady separation.
- Theoretical and numerical investigations of instabilities in boundary-layer flows.
- Supersonic and hypersonic boundary-layer flows.
- Unsteady mixed-convection boundary-layer flows.
- Effects of vortex-surface interaction on wall-bounded flows.
- Passive and active control of separation and dynamic stall on airfoils.
- Fluid dynamics and heat transfer characteristics of buoyancy-driven flows with heat generation.
- Computational simulations of bio-fluids.
- S. W. Kung Award - for best Ph.D. paper presented at the 1993 Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics Graduate Student Symposium, Lehigh University.
- Baldwin Fellowship, Lehigh University (1989-1990).
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (1991-1993).
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institute of Standards and Technology (1993-1996).
- Philip Thomas Medal of Excellence - for best paper presented at the Fifth International Symposium on Fire Safety Science, Melbourne, Australia, March 3-7, 1997.
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award (1998-2001).
- Ralph L. Barnett Excellence in Teaching Award (2001) Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering Department, Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Alfred Noble Prize (2002) - for the paper, A Comparison of Navier-Stokes Solutions with the Theoretical Description of Unsteady Separation, published in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London.
- Essential Foreign Participant (2003) Invited to participate in the London Mathematical Society Colloquium on New Developments and Applications of Rapid Fluid Flows as an Essential Foreign Participant (July 2003).
- Ralph L. Barnett Excellence in Teaching Award (2007) Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering Department, Illinois Institute of Technology.
- University Excellence in Teaching Award (2008) Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2013).
- Variational Methods with Applications in Science and Engineering by Kevin W. Cassel, Cambridge University Press (2013) 413 p.