Mathieu Joerger, PhDResearch Assistant Professor
- Navigation, guidance and control of dynamic systems
- M.S. (Diplome d'Ingenieur) Mechatronics, National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA) in Strasbourg, France, 2002
- M.S. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2002
- Ph.D. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2009
Real-time precision navigation, guidance (trajectory planning and obstacle avoidance) and control of autonomous ground vehicles
Multi-constellation satellite navigation systems (using carrier phase signals from GPS, Galileo and from low-earth-orbiting satellites)
Multi-sensor navigation (measurement-level integration of carrier phase differential GPS with laser-based SLAM)
Integrity monitoring, remote and embedded monitor designs, sequential fault detection algorithms
Measurement error modeling (due to non-nominal ionosphere and troposphere)
- Joint Precision Approach and Landing System (JPALS) (sponsored by L3 Communications): aims at providing carrier phase differential GPS-based navigation for shipboard landing of military aircraft
- In charge of the iGPS research effort at IIT (supported by the Boeing Company and the Naval Research Laboratory) investigating a high-integrity navigation system for civilian precision applications (using ranging signals from GPS and from Iridium telecommunication satellites) (until January 2011)
- 2009 Bradford Parkinson Award, Institute of Navigation
- 2010 Best-of-Session Paper Award, Institute of Navigation
Gratton, L., Joerger, M., and Pervan, B., "Carrier Phase Relative RAIM Algorithms and Protection Level Derivation," Journal of Navigation, Vol. 63 (2010) pp. 215-231.
Joerger, M., Gratton, L., Pervan, B., and Cohen, C.E., "Analysis of Iridium-Augmented GPS for Floating Carrier Phase Positioning," NAVIGATION: Journal of the Institute of Navigation, Vol. 57, No. 2 (2010) pp. 137-160.
Joerger, M., and Pervan, B., "Measurement-Level Integration of Carrier-Phase GPS and Laser-Scanner for OutdoorGround Vehicle Navigation," ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 131 (2009).
Joerger, M., Christ, J., Duncan, R., and Pervan, B., "Integrated Design of an AGV for Improved GPS-based Path-Following Performance," International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 2, Nos. 3-4 (2006) pp. 263-286.