Ganesh G. Raman, PhDAssociate Professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Associate Dean for Research
- Experimental fluid mechanics, Aeroacoustics.
- Active flow control, Jet Screech, and Fluidics.
- B.S. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India, 1983
- M.S. Cleveland State University, 1986
- Ph.D. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western University, 1991
Shear flow control, resonant acoustics and flow induced sound and its suppression; conducting fundamental experimental investigations of the acoustics and fluid flow physics of supersonic jets, developing active flow control devices, and devising active flow control strategies for use in military and civil aircraft. Supersonic jet screech, use of miniature fluidic devices for suppression of resonant acoustics, mixer-ejector aeroacoustics, cavity resonance and its suppression.
- Associate Fellow, (AIAA)
- NASA certificate of recognition for the creative development of a technical innovation entitled "Multiple fluidic devices that provide flow mixing control", 1996.
- Aeromechanics department paper of the year, 1996.
- NYMA/SETAR company best paper of the year, 1996.
- Aeromechanics department paper of the year, 1997.
- NYMA/SETAR company best paper of the year, 1997.
Panickar, P., and Raman, G. "Using Linear Stability Analysis as a Tool to Evaluate Jet and Cavity Flow Control Situations." International Journal of Flow Control, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 43-72, 2009.
Raman, G., and Srinivasan, K. "The Powered Resonance Tube: from Hartmann’s Discovery to Current Active Flow Control Applications." Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 45, Nos. 4-5, pp. 97-123, 2009.
Sarpotdar, S., and Raman, G. "Linear Stability of a Hybrid Mean Velocity Profile and its Relevance to Cavity Resonance Suppression." Physics of Fluids, 2009 (under review).
Srinivasan, K., Panickar, P., Raman, G., Kim, B.-H., and Williams, D. "Study of Coupled Supersonic Twin Jets of Complex Geometry Using Higher-Order Spectral Analysis." Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 323, pp. 910-931, 2009.
Gregory, J., Sullivan, J., Raman, G., and Raghu, S. "Characterization of the Microfluidic Oscillator." AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 568-576, 2007.
Panickar, P., and Raman, G. "Criteria for the Existence of Helical Instabilities in Subsonic Impinging Jets." Physics of Fluids, Vol. 19, 2007.
Sarpotdar, S., Raman, G., Sharma, S., and Cain, A. "Jet Impingement Tone Suppression Using Powered Resonance Tubes." AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 972-979, 2007.
Tarau, C., Ötügen, V., Sheverev, V., Vradis, G., and Raman, G. "The Effect of Thermal Barriers on Sound Wave Propagation." International Journal of Aeroacoustics, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 287-308, 2007.
Joshi, R., Panickar, P., Srinivasan, K., and Raman, G. "Nozzle Orientation Effects and Nonlinear Interactions between Twin Jets of Complex Geometry." Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 336-345, 2006.
Schmit, R.F., and Raman, G. "High and Low Frequency Actuation Comparison for a Weapons Bay Cavity." International Journal of Aeroacoustics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 395-414, 2006.