Grant Review ToolkitPost Award Process: From Cradle to Grave
POST AWARD PROCESS
- Main Fund/Cost share maintenance screens established (if applicable) (See fund logic) – Review Cost Share Policy
- Load Budget (based upon award documentation)
- Responsible accountant will notify Principal Investigator of new FOAP(s), or increase to budget (if continuation)
- Request others to have access to fund (i.e., co-investigators, dept administrators, etc). Fill out Banner Access form
- The responsible accountant will schedule a meeting with PI to review PI/GCA Responsibilities, terms and conditions of award, training available (FRIGITD Training), resources, etc. (Not required for continuing awards) (See chart to determine the responsible accountant for your area)
Processing expenditures (See account code list for appropriate expense categorization)
- Payroll authorization forms (Form for charging salary to grants) (See Salary Cap Limitations)
- Procurement Card Purchases (Complete Procurement card application) – Review Record retention requirements regarding travel charged with a Procurement card)
- Income Tuition Vouchers (ITV) (Used for RA stipend/tuition)
- Purchase orders (equipment (over $2,500), lab supplies, computer equipment, etc) Access to Internet Native Banner (INB) is required to complete a purchase order (Form FPAREQN) (Refer to purchasing competitive bidding requirements)
Payment to Subcontracts
- Subcontract Agreement should be in place prior to payment of subcontract invoices and is negotiated by Office of Sponsored Research and Programs.
- PI approval required on subcontract invoices prior to processing (email will be sent by GCA to PI for approval)
Payment to consultant
- Consultant agreement should be established and approved by Sponsored Research prior to payment of a consultant. (see consulting services agreement)
- Purchase Order will be created to pay the consultant.
- Petty Cash (See policy) & Form
- Check Disbursement Voucher (CDV) (only used for purchases less than $500)
Travel Expense Accounting Report Form (TEAR) See Travel policy (Refer to Fly-America Act prior to traveling)
- - Any transactions being charged to a grant account requires GCA approval prior to processing.
- - Any significant changes from the initial budget outlined in the award documentation (i.e., change in percent of effort, change in key personnel, equipment changes etc) may require prior approval from the agency and will be referred to Office of Sponsored Programs to request this approval.
File required effort reporting (Monthly) (Time and Effort Policy & Instructions)
- Notification will be sent to the PI on a monthly basis to complete effort certification.
- Access the MyIIT portal on a monthly basis to complete the effort Reporting.
Financial reporting/ Invoicing
a. Accountant will reconcile grant expenditures with PI or designee prior to invoicing and/or financial reporting.
- Complete reallocations if necessary (See reallocation form)
- Complete cost transfers (See policy & Form)
- a. Accountant will reconcile grant expenditures with PI or designee prior to invoicing and/or financial reporting.
Continuations / Final Reporting
- Complete progress report if project is continuing.
- If continuation – infusion of continuing funds (process rotates back to I.b.)
If project is ending
- PI will receive closeout letter 45 days prior to end date
- Obtain a no-cost extension if necessary
- Reconciliation of any deficits or other corrections would then be processed by the responsible accountant
- Complete final reporting (if required)
- Complete final Invention Report (if required)
- Complete property report (if required)
- Close out grant/fund in Banner.