The IIT community is invited to watch a live webcast of the Global Grand Challenges Summit, which is taking place in London on Tuesday, March 12, and Wednesday, March 13.
The Global Grand Challenges Summit is a major new initiative by the national academies of engineering in the UK, the US, and China. The summit will see leading international engineering thinkers and innovators sharing ideas with the next generation of engineers and policy-makers on how to solve the world’s most pressing challenges.
Stop by the Hermann Hall Auditorium at the following times to watch the proceedings:
Tuesday, March 12
Engineering-Related Health Session – 8:50 – 10:15 am
This session is comprised of a 15-minute keynote followed by four 10-minute presentations and a 30-minute, moderated discussion. This session will showcase the contribution of engineering research to the frontiers of healthcare. The panelists/participants are as follows:
- Dr. Frances Arnold, Professor of Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering and Biochemistry, Caltech
- Professor Ara Darzi, Professor of Surgery, Imperial College London
- Dr. Robert Langer, Institute Professor, MIT
- Dr. Rebecca Richards-Kortum, Director, Rice 360°: Institute for Global Health Technology
- Dr. Qimin Zhan, Vice President, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
Engineering-Related Education Session – 11 am – 12:30 pm
This session is comprised of a 60-minute moderated panel discussion. This session will explore how we can educate a new generation of engineers that are more representative of our society and have a portfolio of skills and attributes that go beyond traditional engineering curricula. The panelists/participants are as follows:
- Professor Dame Ann Dowling, Head of the Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge
- Professor John Hennessy, President, Stanford University
- Dean Kamen, Founder, FIRST
- Robert Matheson, Principal, STEM Early College High School
- Professor Chris Wise, Co-founder, Expedition Engineering and Professor of Civil Engineering Design, University College London
Wednesday, March 13
Plenary Address By Bill Gates – 10:45 – 11:30 am
Bill Gates, Co-chair and Trustee of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will deliver an address related to the global grand challenges.
Engineering Undergraduates: Attending any of these events will count toward the undergraduate IIT Engineering Themes Portfolio. If you attend the Engineering-Related Health Session, this will count as a health seminar in the undergraduate IIT Engineering Themes Portfolio. If you attend either the Engineering-Related Education Session or the Plenary Address by Bill Gates, this will count as a health, energy, water, and security seminar in the undergraduate IIT Engineering Themes Portfolio. If you have not registered for your portfolio, you can do so here.