IIT College of Science and Letters
Students in IIT College of Science and Letters develop the skills of inquiry, knowledge creation, and self-directed learning, that give them a competitive edge in their pursuit of graduate school or a professional career.
A broad foundation of knowledge and thinking across disciplines distinguishes the College of Science and Letters at IIT. It is an education grounded in science and technology, and understood within the context of politics, economics, history, and modern culture. The result is an educational experience that is unlike any other.
Study in the College of Science and Letters allows you to:
- Undertake a summer research project and use it to pursue graduate or medical school.
- Work in a lab with new materials while learning how to become a patent lawyer.
- Combine the study of science with the study of financial markets—one of many interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary options.
The College of Science and Letters has attracted students from around the world for more than a century.
Our graduates and students have:
- Kept company with the most brilliant mathematicians and scientists of the twentieth century
- Participated in national modern-day work with neutrinos and b-quarks
- Taken part in experiments at Argonne National Laboratory’s Advanced Photon Source, the brightest X-ray light source in the western hemisphere.
- Involved themselves in a variety of activities that include bringing technology to schools in Haiti,conducting research in high-performance computing, database searching, and cybersecurity.
- The college also houses IIT Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions.
Studies in the core disciplines include:
- Applied Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Political Science
- Sociology and Social Science
Special interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and other programs are available in a variety of areas, including science and financial markets; pre-law; pre-medicine; journalism of technology, science, and business; and pathways to professional, non-thesis science masters.