Prospective Students Current Students Business & Industry Faculty & Staff Alumni Visitors

International Center
Study Abroad

Transferring to Illinois Tech - F1
Transferring to Illinois Tech - J1


If you already have a visa stamp for another university and wish to attend Illinois Tech instead, you would need to cancel that visa and apply again using Illinois Tech I-20 or to transfer to Illinois Tech from within the US, if you are already at another university in the country.

If coming to Illinois Tech directly from another school, university or college in the U.S., the following F-1 transfer procedures must be completed:

First, you will need to submit a Transfer Release Form to the respective admissions office at Illinois Tech (undergraduate, graduate, Stuart, Kent or Institute of Design), completed by the international office at your previous school as well as copies of all previous I-20s or DS-2019s.

Then you will be issued an Illinois Tech SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 form. Upon your arrival in Chicago, you must report to the International Center within 15 days of the start date on your I-20 to complete the transfer of your F-1 status to Illinois Tech. Please remember to bring all previous I-20s to the International Center for check-in. Failure to do so will result in violation of your immigration status and will require the student to be reinstated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Students, who are transferring to Illinois Tech from another school in the U.S., may travel using their valid F-1/J-1 visa issued for the previous school and Illinois Tech I-20/DS-2019.

Transferring to Illinois Tech - F1


  • Admission to Illinois Tech
  • Valid F-1 status at previous school
  • Enrolled as a full-time student at previous school
  • Will be enrolled full-time at Illinois Tech in the first semester/quarter after leaving previous school


  • Enrollment at a high school or university in the United States
  • Offer of admission to Illinois Tech
  • Completion of Illinois Tech's " School Transfer and Release Form " (see above for forms).  Please contact your respective Admissions Office for the appropriate form.
  • I-20 issued to attend Illinois Tech
  • Copy of I-20 form from previous school or university
  • Report to the International Center within the first 15 days of classes at Illinois Tech with your passport, all I-20's issued by both Illinois Tech and the previous school, and your I-94 card
  • Obtain Transfer endorsement on your I-20 (issued by Illinois Tech)

Transfer form for the Institute of Design
Transfer form for Graduate Students
Transfer form for Undergraduate Students
Transfer form for Kent Students

Top of Page 
Transferring to Illinois Tech - J1

An exchange visitor in any category may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the objectives of the program and the category for which he or she was originally admitted do not change. The transfer is accomplished through direct correspondence between the concerned institutions.


  • Valid J-1 status at previous school
  • Pursuing the original objectives of the category (student, scholar, professor)
  • Availability of time within the given category


  • For student category - admission to Illinois Tech, for research scholars and professors - Offer/Employment letter
  • New DS-2019 to begin program at Illinois Tech
  • Transfer release on DS-2019 from the current sponsor, if in the U.S. If you are planning to leave the country temporarily while changing program sponsors, please contact the International Center
  • Report to the International Center.

Transfer forms for J-1 Student

Top of Page 
© 2008 Illinois Institute of Technology 3300 South Federal Street, Chicago, IL 60616-3793 Tel 312.567.3000